CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Reading is fun!

I went and got my books today...so far there are 16 books for 3 classes, and at least 4 for the two other classes that the books weren't in for. Amy asked me to post the book list for my Contemporary Women Writers class so here it is:

  • Nickel and Dimed By Barbara Ehrenreich

  • Written on the Body By Jeanette Winterson

  • Human Croquet By Kate Atkinson

  • How the Garcia Girls Lost their Accents By Julia Alvarez

  • Yo! By Julia Alvarez

  • The House on Mango Street By Sandra Cisneros

  • My One Night Stand with Cancer By Tania Katan


If anyone has ever read any of these books, or other books by these authors let me know! I'd love to get some reviews!

Has anyone ever heard the story of Tania Katan? It is an amazing story that one of my professors shared with us last semester. Tania was diagnosed with breast cancer when she was 21 and had a mastectomy. When she was 31 she was again diagnosed with breast cancer and had her other breast removed. Since then, she has run three 10k breast cancer marathons...topless. Shocking huh? Since she has no breasts, she runs them holding a sign that says "This is what breat cancer really looks like". It's amazing to me. I don't think anyone I know has the courage to do something like that. I know I don't. I found a picture of her:

I couldn't find the one of her actually running the marathon. Anyways, I thought I'd share this incredible story with you.

I will also be reading a Foucault reader for Political Theory and "What Color is My Parachute?" for Adult Career Development, among many others for those classes as well. I'm pretty excited for the semester to start actually. It will be stressful as always, but I think my classes will be awesome! I know, I know-I'm a nerd...it's in my blood.

1 comments:

Amy T Schubert said...

I've only ever heard of the house on Mango street ... but never read any of those ... I have read Foucault and he is HARD ... hard ... I think Kevin would like him, though ...