CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, December 15, 2008

An Update

My Grandpa Stratton had a massive stroke last night. He is completely unresponsive and has no brain activity. We moved him into a Hospice facility because that was his wish. Right now it's just a waiting game. As sad as I am and as hard as this is, I am thankful for three things: 1) My Grandpa's one wish this Christmas was that he could spend it with my Grandma (who passed away in March). It's look like now his wish will come true. 2) Because the stroke was so severe, the doctors tell us he isn't in any pain. 3) I am lucky to have an amazingly close, huge and supportive family. It's times like these when we all need someone to lean on, and in our family there is never a shortage of shoulders for that.

Now it's time for me to vent. Is it really wrong for me to want to spend as much time with my family as possible right now? To be with my grandpa for as long as I can? So when I cancel plans with someone for that reason is it too much to ask that they be understanding and maybe even a little sympathetic? Instead of basically calling me a jerk and telling me that we shouldn't hang out anymore? (This is a "friend" by the way, not someone I am dating). So I'm a little pissed. No, I am ALOT pissed. I guess I don't need friends like that anyways right?

Anyways, please keep my Grandpa in your thoughts and prayers. I will keep everyone updated.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, you definitely do not need people like that around you. Don't even bother with it. And I'm so sorry about your grandpa. :-/

-D

Ashley said...

My grandpa died last month...I know you have lots of supportive family, but let me know if you want to talk or anything. We'll be praying for you guys.

NanAZ said...

We're praying for you and the whole family. Let us know if there's anything we can do.

Your friend has probably never experienced the serious illness or death of someone so close to her/him and they probably just don't understand. Sometimes it's hard (especially for someone who's young) to really get it until they've gone thru it themselves.