CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, May 20, 2007

A few books on my summer reading list (in no particular order):

  • A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah (a true story about a boy in Africa forced be a soldier...much like the movie Blood Diamond)
  • Sam's Letters to Jennifer by James Patterson (chic-lit)
  • The Virgin Suicides by Jeffret Eugenides (never seen the movie...thought the book looked interesting)
  • Saving the World by Julia Alvarez (LOVE her...I've read two other books by her- How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents and Yo!)
  • The House of Mirth and The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton (Read Ethan Frome by Wharton and it's one of my favorite books)
  • The Case for a Creator: A Journalist Investigates Scientific Evidence that Points Toward God by Lee Strobel (Interesting... I also want to read the Bible because I never have, but more because I think it's an important historical piece and referred to very often in different contexts...not so much because of religion. )
  • Something Borrowed by Emily Griffith (more chic-lit)
  • The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver (started it awhile ago, but never finished it. It's very very long and hard to follow, but for some reason I have to finish every book I start no matter how boring it is)

These will probably last me through about the end of June, depending on how often I get to read at my job. I love bookstores. I think it'd be so much fun to work in a small bookstore where you can sit around and read all the time. I don't get to read books I actually want to read during school, so I have to catch up over the summer. Although my pile is not nearly as large as Amy's !!!

3 comments:

NanAZ said...

Let me know how the Lee Strobel book is. It sounds interesting... And when you get around to the Bible, I can recommend a version that's easier to read and maybe some places to read first instead of starting at the beginning.

Kevun said...

Read the Lee Strobel book if you want. I've read a Case for Christ. He paints himself as a hard hitting reporter just trying to get the facts - then he goes and only interviews people that already share his point of view. For instance, from what I understand of case for creator, he interviews one person representing the non-creation viewpoint, then spends the rest of the book interviewing bunches of other people to refute that one. Be wary of lending too much creedence to creationists - scientists, whose job it is to research this stuff, don't.

Amy T Schubert said...

Other Edith Wharton books are very different than Ethan Frome (in plot and environment) ... still very good. ... and if you like them, you should also read some EM Forster -- Howard's End or Room With a View.

Yesterday, at work, I read about ... 7 hours. ... only did about an hour of work. seriously.